Friday, February 12, 2016

Thinkers about vegetarians


“Caesar's armies marched on vegetarian foods.”
Will Durant, American writer, historian. (1885-1981)

“I was a vegetarian until I started leaning toward the sunlight.”
Rita Rudner (Comedian)

“I am oppressed with a dread of living forever. That is the only disadvantage of vegetarianism.”
George Bernard Shaw (1940)

“Now I can look at you in peace; I don't eat you any more.”
Franz Kafka (1883-1924)

“You can't possibly ask me to go without having some dinner. It's absurd. I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that.”
Oscar Wilde, 'The Importance of Being Earnest' (1895)

"The thought of two thousand people crunching celery at the same time horrified me."
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950).
Explaining why he had turned down an invitation to a vegetarian gala dinner.
'The Greatest Laughs of All Time', G. Lieberman.

"Vegetarians have wicked, shifty eyes, and laugh in a cold calculating manner. They pinch little children, steal stamps, drink water, favor beards."
J. B. Morton

"My hearse will be followed not by mourning coaches but by herds of oxen, sheep, swine, flocks of poultry and a small traveling aquarium of live fish, all wearing white scarves in honor of the man who perished rather than eat his fellow creatures."
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish playwright and pleader of the invention of a human way to kill handycaped people...(and then came Zyklon B!)

"I have no doubt that it is part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other when they came in contact with each other."
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

"There is no disease, bodily or mental, which adoption of vegetable diet, and pure water has not infallibly mitigated, wherever the experiment has been fairly tried."
Percy Bysshe Shelley, English poet (1792-1822)

"Vegetarianism is harmless enough, though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self-righteousness."
Sir Robert Hutchinson

"The parlour cars and Pullmans are packed also with scented assassins, salad-eaters who murder on milk."
W.H. Auden, ‘Age of Anxiety’ (1947)

"Everybody's a pacifist between wars. It's like being a vegetarian between meals."
Colman McCarthy, Columnist, ‘The Washington Post’

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants."
A. Whitney Brown, former Saturday Night Live news anchor

"Nothing more strongly arouses our disgust than cannibalism, yet we make the same impression on Buddhists and vegetarians, for we feed on babies, though not our own."
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)

“I have always eaten animal flesh with a somewhat guilty conscience.”
Albert Einstein

“I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.”
Unknow, as bumper sticker

“A man of my spiritual intensity does not eat corpses.”
George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright and critic (1856-1950)

“Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.”
Albert Einstein

“A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children.”
David Brenner, Comedian

“A human can be healthy without killing animals for food. Therefore if he eats meat he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite.”
Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy, Russian author (1828-1910)

“I've been a vegetarian for years and years. I'm not judgemental about others who aren't, I just feel I cannot eat or wear living creatures.”
Drew Barrymore, American actress

“Vegetarian: A person who eats only side dishes.”
Gerald Lieberman


“Persons living entirely on vegetables are seldom of a plump and succulent habit.”
William Cullen (1710-1790), Scottish physician & professor.

No comments: